Montag, 31. März 2008

Deadline for the area contest: Right now !

I have received some emails lately if I´m going to submit something for the area contest. Sadly this is not the case. I was really looking forward to take part, but at this time I didn´t know march was going to be a very stressful month.

But besides that, another reason was, that I had not finished the area I wanted to sumbit. A week before the announcement of the contest, I decided to revisit mainparts of the story and because of that I had to roll up some bigger parts of the main island. And because of that little time I had working on the area, it stays a messy construction ground during the whole month. I guess thats faith :) Anyway... I wasn´t sure for the price at all. Where to get two additional monitors ? And mother nature will thank you for your joy playing games with three times more comsumption of electricity ! (I hope the winner thinks about that at least for a second.)
I´m very exited about the entries and I have tested some of them. I´m very curious who will win at the end and I keepmy fingers crossed for my favourite :)

Now it seems that I have finally finished my start island yesterday ! All locations are now content ready and the dodgy story outline is nearly finished. I just have to rewrite it and put it in a readable form :) And after that translate it into english. A light at the end of the tunnel...

I thought you might be interested to see what I mean by writing "major changes in the areas". I have found an old shot I took from the heart of the start island when there was just a cozy clearing. But it went out, that this would be the perfect place for a camp, sourrounded by some old ruins. Today I made a screenshot to show the before / after effect:

Before


After

You see what I mean ? And don´t worry, there are some clearings left. Ironically this makeover was the easiest to do, but I wasn´t aware of that when I started on reshaping some roads and placing new doors. I had a terrible (door) bug that nearly made my quit working with the toolset... But I don´t want to talk about that anymore :/

I also wanted to include a quit big cave to contest areas, because it simply connects some other finished areas. After pausing in frustration for some days I made a major rebuild on that cave too. Sadly I have no shots of the old version anymore. But on the left is a sneak peek of the new one, or at least an underpopulated part of it.

I hope Obsidian is going to start some more contests in the future. Peferably during a holiday season !

Seems I´m into a typing mood right now. I should use that chance and start to translate my scripts...

6 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

I am so excited to play this when it's is done! Your areas are so well developed and beautiful. Add a story and dialog, I'm a happy woman!

As for entering the contest. I wish you had. I would have gotten the chance to run around in your area creations! Real life gets in the way some times, as do busy schedules. :)

Great work!

Michele

Ayrin hat gesagt…

Thanks a lot for your compliments ! Believe me Michele, I´m also looking forward to get some flesh on this graphical bones as soon as possible ! :)
I´working on the areas now for some month. I want to add a story that fits the graphics quality. And I think I came up with such story finally (at least I am satisfied with it)! Now there is just that little problem with implementing them in the toolset...

But good to know I can make you a happy woman when I´m done. Usually making woman happy is a lot harder :)

Anonym hat gesagt…

Interesting weblog

Anonym hat gesagt…

Nice portal

Anonym hat gesagt…

I like the portal

Anonym hat gesagt…

Good sait, its very interesting//